Monday, January 19, 2009

Many a Christmas knit

I feel guilty for my lack of love to my blog. But I also hope that this year I will find more time for knitting, and thus find more time for blogging. My fall semester was brutal because they crammed 4 months of learnin' into two months. This semester, I only have class 4 days a week, and on many days, only one class with lots of free time around it. Things are coming up Milhouse!

And now I present holiday knitting in all its glory:



Felted stocking for Fuzzy-head, as this was his first Christmas on his own in his own little house with his own little Christmas tree, and he needed a big bad stocking. I made this in less than 24 hours after I finished all my other Christmas knitting but still thought I could fit in one more thing. Pattern from AlterKnits Felted book. I hastily jotted down the bare-bones of the pattern when I was on my last knitting field trip with Anonymous. I wasn't about to buy a whole book for one pattern, that's silly.


I did not knit this one, or the next one. Slimmers created this purple hat to match the purple mitts and other purple accessories she got for Christmas. She made this hat in two days, most impressive for her, she usually takes a million years to finish anything.



The first hat Slimmers created hastily, this one was a last-minute Christmas gift for her friend. I was most impressed that she chose a Star Wars pattern. Love love love it.



My pride and joy, these are my Brooklyn Tweed mittens from the cover of Vogue Knitting. Made them in a lovely sock yarn, and told Tam Tam she can't wear them until the spring because they aren't very hearty mittens.




Slimmers purple mittens, also from Vogue Knitting, I was a bit disappointed that one turned out a lot tighter than the other, but overall, I like them a lot. I ended up following the structural pattern for my let it snow mittens and just using the pattern for the purple and white because the mitten itself was turning out oddly. I really hated the thumb they wanted me to use because it had no thumb gusset. In the end, a most enjoyable knit.

Next projects: A full year of knitting in preparation for next Christmas! I never give gifts to my extended family, but I figure everyone could use a little hand-made something now and then. The gift list is as follows:

Grandmother - tea cozy and french press cozy
Grandpa - manly socks
Uncles - flip-top mittens in a manly tweed
Aunts - functional scarf with hood attached
Other grandmother - pretty and not very practical scarf/shoulderette
Great Aunt - tea cozy

**Note: both other grandmother and great aunt live overseas and will require light weight gifts to save on shipping. Also, they are old British women who are very traditional and need traditional gifts.

I have found patterns galore on Ravelry and now I need to get shopping.

I love knitting, and I missed my blog. A merry new year to all, expect to see projects galore from me soon.

Onward,

vrock

No comments: